Mediation, a form of alternative dispute resolution, is a confidential meeting between the disputing parties and a neutral third party, a credentialed mediator. With the assistance of the mediator, the parties work towards a solution to their dispute. This non-adversarial process is designed to reach a mutually acceptable and voluntary resolution to legal contests. It keeps control of the end result to the dispute in the hands of the parties.
Mediation is typically conducted during (or sometimes before) the litigation process and is commonly utilized and ordered by Judges to allow the parties an opportunity to negotiate and resolve their case before going to the expense and stress of a trial. The potential advantages include:
- Mediation is normally less costly than litigation;
- Mediation is more confidential than open courtroom proceedings;
- In mediation, the parties play an active role in resolution of their dispute;
- Mediation is a potentially faster resolution to the dispute; and
- Mediation promotes cooperation and compromise between the parties to reach a mutually agreeable end to their dispute.
To learn more about our mediation services, please contact our principal office in College Station at 979.694.7000.